I love to research things about health and nutrition, particularly if it is about something that may affect me. I noticed recently that many of the conversations I was having with girlfriends over coffee related to hormones and in particular hormone imbalances.
Many people think that hormone imbalances are a problem that generally only affects pubescent, pregnant, premenopausal and menopausal women but this is just not true. The truth is that hormone imbalances can affect anyone, male or female at any age.
So how do you know if you have a hormone imbalance?
Well your body tells you through symptoms. Symptoms of illness are just your body talking to you to tell you that something is wrong. Treating the symptom will not solve the problem. Treating the symptom just masks the problem until the problem is so big it can’t be fixed anymore.
Here are some symptoms to look out for:
- PMS pain and heavy bleeding
- Irregular periods
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
- Headaches & migraines
- Sleep disorders
- Persistent Acne
- Foggy head
So what causes hormone imbalances?
Short answer – lots of things!!!
Long answer – I will dot point to keep it brief
- An acidic body
- Prolonged stress – adrenal fatigue
- Oxidation of the body
- Environmental toxins (e.g. pesticides and heavy metals)
- Diet high in refined sugar
- Diet high in alcohol
- Diet high in saturated fats
- Diet high in animal products including dairy and eggs
- Lack of exercise
- Poor liver function
- Poor bowel movements
- Hormone replacement therapy
So why do we gain weight when our hormones are out of whack?
Fat cells produce estrogen and excess estrogen produces fat cells so there is a continuous cycle of excess estrogen and weight gain.
Your doctor can test you to check your hormone levels if you suspect that you have a problem with excess estrogen.
Once you know what is going on with your hormones, what can you do about it?
If the hormone imbalance has been caused by dietary and lifestyle factors, it makes sense that changing these factors has a pretty good chance of reversing the problem.
Start with your diet and exercise and move onto more complicated treatments only if you actually need to. Like I said above, the symptoms are just a message that you need to change something. If you treat the symptom but continue to cause the problem by eating poorly and not exercising you will eventually get very ill and you may not be able to fix the problem if it gets too bad.
This being said, just changing your diet and exercise sounds like a simple fix but for some people with deeply ingrained habits, this is not so easy. If you need support to get out of a cycle of destructive eating and exercise habits, seek support!
So what should you do to change?
Below is a short simple checklist of things you can do to start to turn your life around:
- Include fruits and veggies with every meal (make at least ½ raw)
- Manage your stress with a daily meditation (there are heaps of podcasts/youtube videos that will take you through great guided meditations)
- Reduce environmental toxins by buying organic, washing food with apple cider vinegar and water
- Reduce environmental toxins by cutting or reducing significantly meat, dairy and eggs from your diet
- Include a regular exercise routine in your daily schedule. This can be as simple as taking the time in the morning when you first wake to stretch and go for a ½ hour walk in the afternoon.
- Reduce environmental toxins by changing your cleaning and personal care products to natural substances
- Knowledge is power. Read, learn and change and grow accordingly.
If you need a kick-start for your new healthier lifestyle, try a juice cleanse for 3 to 5 days to pattern interrupt yourself. There is the basic cleanser for if you are pretty confident that you know how to support yourself during your cleanse with a small amount of support from the team at Juzcit. The Gold Level Cleanser if you want to take your cleanse to the next level with extra support for your body during the detoxification process and then the Platinum Level Cleanser if you want to have that top level of support where you will be catered to for your unique needs.
Happy Juicing 🙂